MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

My Garden (zone 8) - First Part of March


In spring, I'm always excited to see that my plants have spread. Sometimes, it's good excitement - who doesn't like free plants? In other cases, excitement is followed by a question - am I playing with  fire?
A few observations about some fast spreaders in my garden. 

  Petasites palmatus 'Golden Palms' , Northwest native

This is the case when you should trust the label!
"Spreads rapidly" means one plant in fall equals ten plants in spring and still multiplying!
Tell me if I should dig it out and confine it in a pot OR should I just let it be and hope it won't escape its bed. It sure loves this spot with morning sun and moist soil!
I understand that it'll spread wildly, but isn't this what I want - a carpet of umbrella-shaped chartreuse yellow leaves?
-----------------------------

  Euphorbia x martinii

I praised this plant so many times! In my garden, it's a perpetuum mobile, a profuse self seeder which provides additional plants every year.


----------------------------------

  Euphorbia amygdaloides 'Ruby Glow'

I am very pleased to see it spreading by seeds.
I have two plants in different locations. Observation: the bigger plant is the one having better soil, it looks bushy and showy.
But, the smaller one, which grows in poor sandy soil, has already given me a dozen seedlings.



---------------------------------------------

Romneya trichocalyx (Matilija Poppy)
I gave it loose sandy soil and full day sun, and it gave me a whole bunch of babies trying to run away from their parents as far as possible!
Should I be concerned?

-------------------------------

Lamium
It's confined to a dry bed under two big fir trees and not allowed to escape.
-----------------------------------

 Helleborus niger
Spreading of this self seeder in my garden is very welcome.






***
And now, some other plants, spreaders and not spreaders.

 Dwarf Daffodils

 Grape Hyacinth


 Hyacinth








Pansy

 Daphne


 Edgeworthia papyrifera 
A valuable addition to my garden.



 Gunnera manicata
One of my gunneras was planted late in fall 2013 and didn't survive that wet winter.
I suspect that its roots had too much moisture.
This one, in the picture, was planted in spring 2014, had enough time to establish and came through the winter just fine.


 Rose
Some roses never shed their leaves during the last winter which was very mild.
Among them: Mr.Lincoln, climbing rose Don Juan and Rose Regensberg Floribunda.

Mukdenia

Peony


Meconopsis

Lupin


I hope spring came to your garden!

***Copyright 2015 TatyanaS

25 comments:

  1. Tatyana, Ruby Glow is a beauty! I want it in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene! It's very attractive plant. I just wish my plants were more bushy. They are relatively small.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard about Petasites. It certainly has a lovely tropical look. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful spring images Tatyana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWEE!!!! Spring has sprung in your gardens with some real beauties. Thank you for sharing. Your photos are fantastic.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a great post, I am very careful about spreading plants in my tiny garden – any labelled ‘prolific spreader’ is a no-no! But plants that can be deadheaded are fine, so when I get too many hellebores I will just pinch off the flowers, but for now I am still letting them seed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene, hellebore loves big family! I have a whole nursery around my oldest plant.

      Delete
  6. Your Mukdenia blooms?! Maybe mine isn't the type to bloom, or maybe it's just too cold for it here, but I've never seen blooms. How fun. Good luck with your spreaders. A start of lovely Anemone sylvestris self-seeded like mad all over my garden a few years ago, and I pulled it all out because I just couldn't keep up with it. It's hard to find the right answer with these vigorous plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VW, I planted Mukdenia last year (I think in spring). It has morning sun and average soil.
      Thank you for mentioning Anemone s. I will be watching my plants!

      Delete
  7. Oh you have so nice sprigtime there! And so beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maalaispuutarhan Marrketta, thank you! We didn't have any snow, and our spring came unusually early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mukdenia, now, thats a new one on me Tatyana. I love your spreaders and non spreaders, especially the Hellebores. Several weeks ago a neighbour was describing Hellebores to me and asking what the name of it was, you know, that posh plant, she said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alistair, thanks! Mukdenia is a member of Saxifrage family, it's from China and Korea. Mukden - is a Chinese city's name (now called Shenyang). Mukdenia rossii 'Karasuba' has crimson hue on its leaves. Pretty!
      Posh? How interesting! I've never thought about Hellebore as a posh plant! Well, it does look chic!

      Delete
  10. Once you have a problem with a plant that spreads, you get a bit gun shy. Having had a number of issues with plants that spread, I always look for warning signs in plant descriptions.
    What a treat it was to see your spring flowers. Your photographs make even the emerging leaves look spectacular. Spring will arrive here soon I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer! Actually, I like when plants spread, but not too fast!~
      I hope you'll have warmth and sunshine very soon!

      Delete
  11. I have never grown euphorbia. I think I must try. I am not sure how it will like the Southeast! There are places, such as my woodland garden, where I am generally happy to let plants spread. But is that what the original owner of my house said when she planted English ivy, now the bane of my garden's existence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! I'd be very interested in your experiment with euphorbia. As for the ivy.... I'm getting nervous when someone from my close neighbors is planting it... Good luck!

      Delete
  12. Oh my! Those Euphorbias have my heart singing. Sigh. And the Hellebores. Yum. Mine are covered with a few inches of snow today, but it should melt in a few days. The Hellebores are just poised to bloom, but I'm keeping them covered until the weather clears. Thank you for this beautiful glimpse of spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring has visited your garden in a magical way! I don't worry so much about Romneya (with it's fancy new last name) or Petasides in my garden. When they spread farther than I want them, they get pulled or dug up and shared with friends. We have to deal with weeds anyway so why not beautiful ones? May spring continue to bring beauty and joy to you and your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh fabulous Tatyana...so many hellebores and bulb flowers...and lots of fresh foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photos!!! I need some hyacinths! And I wish my hellebores would do better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, spring did come to my garden, but then it left again! It was so cold over the weekend, but I think spring is coming back this week. And this time, I think she is going to stay. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*